For Study Participants
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT THE LAB?
- 1. A researcher will give you and your parents consent forms to read and sign.
- 2. A researcher will measure your height and weight.
- 3. You will complete several questionnaires on an iPad. These will include questions about your sleep, health, family relationships, school, community, and peers.
- 4. You or a reseacher will place electrodes on your chest, back, and hand to monitor your heart rate, respiration, and skin conductance level (if your palms sweat) while you perform 2 tasks (a mirror tracer task and a computer card task).
Information for fMRI Study
TIPS FOR GOOD SLEEP
- 1. Maintain a regular sleep/wake schedule.
- 2. Make the bedroom quiet, dark, cool, and comfortable.
- 3. Use a fan or sound machine to cover noise.
- 4. Create a bedtime routine.
- 5. Avoid caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, and heavy meals before bedtime.
- 6. Exercise in the morning or afternoon.
- 7. Try to avoid napping after 5:00 pm.
- 8. Keep a notepad and pen by your bed, if you need to write things down to allow yourself to relax.
- 9. Try breathing exercises, stretching, listening to soothing music for relaxation.
- 10. Avoid bright lights.
- 11. Iron deficiency can contribute to sleep problems.
- 12. Go to a doctor if sleep problems disrupt daily functioning.
- Sleep Foundation
Last Updated: February 1, 2017